Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Typography Homework 1/20

Concept Statements:

Sisters are different flowers from the same garden. They share so many connections, bonds, and memories. Sisterhood is something that can never be broken and is something that lasts an eternity.

“I'm miles from where you are, I lay down on the cold ground, I pray that something picks me up, and sets me down in your warm arms.” This is many hopeless romantics’ plea. Hoping for their loved one to come back to them, or even to find them in the first place. Sometimes it’s a happy ending; sometimes it ends in tragedy.

“Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest so long as I live on! I killed you. Haunt me, then! Haunt your murderer! I know that ghosts have wandered on the Earth. Be with me always. Take any form, drive me mad, only do not leave me in this dark alone where I cannot find you. I cannot live without my life! I cannot die without my soul.”

Audience Persona:

Libby is a 19 year-old female who attends the University of Kansas. She is taking eighteen hours and majoring in Film and English. She has had a steady job for three years at a restaurant. In her free time she likes to read and watch movies from the 60s and earlier. Borders is her favorite place to shop and she browses the literature section for hours. Her favorite readings are gothic novels about tragedy and romance. After she reads the books she likes to compare the books with the movies that were depicted from the books. She excels in all of her English classes because of her love for popular English literature and also excels in her old movie classes. When the long week is over, Libby likes to go out with her friends or sometimes takes it easy with her sister.

Type Studies:

Color Palette:



Journal: Writing for Visual Thinkers.


I think this article has helpful hints and tips for people who are visual thinkers. They give ways to help visualizers really see their thoughts. I think that the mind map is really great because of all the connections that are being made to one thought. I also like the freewriting because when your on a roll.. you're on a roll and you shouldn't stop. Freewriting is amazing because you just keep going until you've covered every aspect and have thought every thought that you can on that one topic. I can see some of the advantages of brainwriting in a group over brainstorming, but I also really like to brainstorm and get ideas out in the open. It is nice for quieter people so that they can get all their thoughts in at once and not have to deal with the stresses of talking in a group. Word lists = my favorite. Word lists are such a good way to brainstorm because you can associate so many words to one topic and keep going until you have a complete understanding of the topic without even making a sentence. It's another helpful way to make connections and understandings. Plus.. lists are just fun and organizational. Outlines are another great strategy. It helps you get from the first step to the last before you even start. You know what you're going to do.. you just have to put the rest of the work and knowledge into it. It's a plan. I like the critiquing a lot because I get other people's perspective. After look at your project so long you might get used to it and you might know exactly what's going on, but you have to have an outsider opinion to see if it really is working. They also help to push your work to the next level. Sketchbooks are a nice way to visualize your thoughts also. It helps you remember an idea or helps your see your idea better. The one strategy they had in there that I'm not a fan of is reflective writing. Mainly because I know what I'm feeling for my work and I think it's better to have that outside opinion from a critique. I think overall this reading was helpful in giving me a few new strategies like the brainwriting.. I've never done that but all of the other strategies are pretty basic and already something that I utilize. I would ask the writer though if there are other ways of being a lot more visual. A lot of the strategies were writing, and a lot of times I like to see pictures to get a feel. I think that moodboards have been really helpful and think that they should have been mentioned. I did like that he talked about 21st century visuals with digital media since that is so influential to our field of study.


Free Write:

Wuthering Heights, Agnes Grey, and Jane Eyre are similar in that they are written by sisters from the same family, and they are all love stories. They remind me of this Victorian, ornate era, involving people form wealthy families. Each of their protagonists fall in love. The difference between the books is how they are featured. Wuthering Heights is a much darker love story than Jane Eyre and Agnes Grey. Heathlcliff doesn't end up with the one he loves, instead she haunts him. Jane Eyre does end up with Rochester so that has a happy ending and Agnes Grey ends up with Edward and have two children so that also ends happily. In Wuthering Heights there are so many family ties and so much more going on between people and relationships. Jane Eyre is so much about Jane finding herself and doing what she wants to do and how she is a good person. Agnes Grey is really trying to help her family after they have gone broke and in the process falls in love with Edward. I see the bookcovers being extremely ornate and embellished. I see soft colors being used and cursive. I'm still having trouble with the concept statement. It's hard to join happy and sad as well as bring sisters into the statement. We'll see..




Moodboard:


So here are some things that I found online for typography:

This robot I thought was really cute.


This is pretty cool.. It says in the red that "bad typography is everywhere.." and in the back of that in the white and shadow it says "good typography is invisible.."


I thought this was just some cool experimentation with the words and rules. It kinda reminds me of America's Best Dance Crew.


And I just like the irony of this. I think the old Victorian ornateness is pretty neat.


This isn't type.. but I still think it's clever.

1 comment:

  1. I like the style of your moodboard. It has a really vintage feel to it that goes well with your books. Don't switch books, please! Is there more to your books than just females? I don't know what they are all about but maybe you could see if there is anything else you could add to your moodboard other than female figures to give you more options.

    ReplyDelete